| Industry event Wednesday 15:00 [Nova 3]
Minimalen presents, in cooperation with Midtnorsk Filmsenter:
Seminar: Short to Feature
SHORT FILM AS A SKETCH FOR A FEATURE
The seminar investigates a noteable trend in Nordic filmmaking, where a fiction short film is used as a working method on the way to making a feature film.
Wes Anderson has done that, Jim Jarmush too. These are some recent Nordic examples:
• Jorunn Myklebust Syversen (NOR): Crying Man => The Tree Feller
• Amanda Kernell (SWE): Northern Great Mountain => Sami Blood
• Rúnar Rúnarsson (ISL): Smáfuglar (short) => Smáfuglar (feature)
• Johannes Nyholm (SWE): Music video => Jätten/The Giant
• Mads Matthiesen (DNK): Dennis => Teddy Bear
These shorts are strong examples of creating their own universe and characters in a short film which the filmmakers have later used to create attention by potential sources of funding, producers and such. Some of the films were intentionally made as a kind of sketch or trailer, while as with others it was only afterwards that the feature film plan became relevant.
A panel of relevant filmmakers, producers, consultants and academics will shed a light on:
• Why it is done, what are the benefits
• What the process may look like
• What consequences it may have for both the short film and the feature film
The seminar is aimed at the film industry, but is open to anyone with ticket / festival pass.